- 1 medium-sized pomfret (about 300g)
- 4 plum tomatoes or 2 regular tomatoes, halved for plum and sliced into quarters for regular.
- 1/2 cup worth of salted vegetables (rinsed and soaked for about 20 minutes), drained.
- 2 salted plums, rinsed (you can get these at all Asian grocery stores) – either dried or sold in jars.
- 4 slices of ginger for steaming, and slivers for garnish
- 2 stalks green onions for steaming, and 1 stalk (slivered) for garnish, or simply cut the green part with a pair of scissors into tiny slices
- 2 bird’s eye chilli peppers, sliced (or substitute with red chilli pepper slices)
- 4 tbsps water
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese rice wine
- Place the 2 slices of ginger and 1 stalk of green onion on a steaming plate. Lay the fish on top.Prepare a wok for steaming.
- Make sure the water is boiling rapidly before you place the fish in the wok.
- Steam lightly for about 3 minutes.Remove and discard the liquids. Now on another plate that you will be using also for serving, place the remaining ginger,green onion stalk and the rest of the vegetables(tomatoes,salted vegetables, salted plums, chilli peppers) on the plate.Lay the fish on top and scatter some of the vegetables you placed on the plate on top and around the fish.Add the soy sauce, oil and water.Add rice wine.
- Steam again until fully cooked, with a medium-sized fish, this should take no more than 10 minutes.Do not oversteam to avoid the fish getting too tough.Remove from wok and garnish with the ginger and green onion slivers.Serve immediately.